Thursday, December 04, 2008

8.30pm on a Thursday night, and I'm doing nothing.

I realize today that I've been doing most of my shopping alone lately. Its not much fun, especially during those crucial moments when I need to choose between two tops, or when I need a reasonable voice telling me that I have enough shoes as it is (which rarely gets through my head anyways haha).

Why? I don't know. My husband is not a mall person, I don't have much free time anyways on weekends, and so I resort to shopping on my home from work at KLCC.

However, solitary shopping does have its perks: I get some alone-time, and I find myself making good buys without other people influencing my decision.

But given the choice, I'd take shopping-cum-makan-cum-bitching session with my gurlies anytime, baby.

Talking about shopping, my company will be having a Christmas dinner in the middle of this month, before the bosses go for their holiday break (no bosses for 2 weeks! woohoo!). We're going to have a Secret Santa-thing that day; where you buy a gift for someone whose name you picked out randomly. I get to ask for something that I want in our wish list, and I know that I want a book. Question is: what book?

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of either A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini or Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. What do you think?

10 comments:

Milkberry said...

Anything by Paulo Coelho or The Umbrella Man by Roald Dahl. Gosh I love that book. I love both of them. Haha but you know my taste lah. Wouldn't want you to end up with a WTF plastered on your face. But I always at some point, cry reading Coelho. Sigh...

e.e.s.h.i.e said...

couldn't agree more bout Coelho. i just finished this book 'love in a torn land' by Jean Sasson. not those cliche soapy love story, its set in iraq and based on a true one ;)

Elmira said...

I read Coelho's The Zahir and did not thoroughly enjoy it. However I heard The Alchemist is good, so I want that as well. Which of his books would you girls suggest?

Shereen, Jean Sasson wrote Mayada right? Didn't like that either... not because of the story (coz its also based on a true story) but the writing style is not to my liking. But like Coelho, I don't mind being proven wrong.

btw, ikin... I survived Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman... I think I can handle a bit of WTF :P

gulagula said...

hey, we're having a price exchange gift too, in the office. i'm going to give to my manager, and i wonder who's going to give to me...^_^

"But given the choice, I'd take shopping-cum-makan-cum-bitching session with my gurlies anytime, baby."

yup, as much as i like to go to shopping mall alone after work (particularly mid valley because it's the nearest), i prefer to have someone to talk to.

anyway, good luck for the Secret Santa thingy. hopefully mine turned out nicely (or fun) ^_^

a z z u r a said...

"I realize today that I've been doing most of my shopping alone lately."----oi.. I was available on Sat remember? :P:P.. ok let's "attempt" at it again. Say, this Thursday?.

"I'm thinking of either A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini or Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" - kalau nak bg aku, gimme that night time coz i havent read it. few times dah i almost reach the book tp few times jugaklah i resorted to chic lit... sheesh.. tp splendid suns is soo good, I'd give that one.

Lyana H. said...

Me love Khaled Hosseini :)

Elmira said...

gulagula: yup! glad u agree :)

zura: i wrote this entry on Thursday last week la wei! eh but u know, esok sounds cun...

lyana: me toooo~

a z z u r a said...

hey, am writing this today.. on thursday. and i saw that i have suggested to meet u today. and then i realized it's 11:02pm at night. and i haven;t met u. so.. I'm sorry.

oh u know what. Today is also the day the earth stool still. Keanu opens today. I mean, his movie. aargh. I forgot, else I would have meet u at klcc then went to watch keanu.. alone. muahahaa..

oh by the way, anim text "elo, how's it going" then i remembered that she told me last week that she'll be in langat today and ask me to set up a meeting with u guys. and i forgot that as well..
u know why..

because i was counting the red and yellow cars with christopher.. and i washed one of the red car that turned out to be my kelisa.

a z z u r a said...

oh i bought the book anyway. finally.

Elmira said...

yeah zura. finally.

and i'll have mine soon :)