Friday, October 03, 2008

reminisce.

I never realized that eating can be tiring.

But still, samprits and makmurs call out to me every time, at every houses I go to.

But Alhamdullilah. For the food, my family, and those I'm newly related to now that I am married to my Babe.

I miss the Raya I had when I was younger. The trip back to Ulu Kinta, playing bunga api to my heart's content [not mercun though, I'm such a coward], my late grandma's dodol, the image of my mom as she prepared the casing for the ketupat. All that hoopla.

I gradually grew up, but Raya was still an event I look forward to. We stopped making a priority to balik kampung a few days before the first of Syawal, but we try to go back when we can.

Then Mama passed away, and Raya became incomplete.

It's probably a stretch to say that the meaning of Raya has returned now that I am married. I won't lie. But things have definitely improved when compared to last Raya, for instance. Hopefully, things will further improve with each passing Syawal.

But one thing is for sure. I want my children [Insya Allah] to have great Raya celebrations. With bunga api, home-made ketupat, running around and making nuisance with the cousins, and so on. Yes, all that hoopla.

Who knows. Maybe by then Raya will have a new, better meaning.

2 comments:

gulagula said...

i love samprit too! this year, my mom baked the cookies after a few years, tapi resepi tak jadi...T_T

on another note, i also do hope that my future kids (insha Allah, one day) to have the fun that i've had on raya during my childhood. going to houses in the neighbourhood collecting duit raya, playing fire crackers (although it's banned, i think i'll find a way to buy it for my kids..:P ), the thrill of balik kampung etc... ^_^

Elmira said...

YUP! I hope our wishes will come true! :)